Pictorial JourneyPublished by Richard on 2007/6/8 (3774 reads)
The Den School in the 1920s. The Den, was a small clachan known as Barkip, located on the main road midway between Beith and Dalry. Coal mines abounded in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The school also served as the Kersland Barony Church. Only a few houses remain in Barkip today and this photo is included to remind young folk of yesteryear of the dress of those who came before them. Perhaps they may even be looking at a distant relation.
Beith Academy class of 1946.
Back row: John Steel, ?, ? Brown, Hugh Ovens, Hugh Jamieson, Willie McCulloch, George MacPherson, Alan McKie and John McHendrie with the bandage on his head.
Second back row: Margaret Gibson (Orr), Tom McManus, Alan Gilbert, Mitchell Darroch, David Stirrit, Walker Paterson, Tom Blair, Jim Wilson (the jovial joiner), Douglas Harris and Christine Burns (now in Australia).
Second front row: Anne Balmer, Janette Simpson, Elizabeth Anderson, Senga Wallace, June Ferguson, Millie Glass, Betty Hamilton (Watson), Catherine Stirrit, Janet Caldwell, Marti Millan (Wilson), and Elsie Clark (McDougall).
Front row: Irene Hamilton, Wilma Kennedy, Nessie Orr and Irene Irvine (Monk)
The Davidson family of Old Longbar around 1918. Until shortly after the Second World War, the current housing scheme at Longbar was simply a field and Old Longbar was located mainly on the south side of the current Beith – Glengarnock Road with further houses on the Auchengree Road. This is the Davidson family who lived in Old Longbar and Davidson Avenue, preserves their connection with the old village.
Back row (l to r): James Davidson, Maggie (Sharp), Arthur Davidson, Sarah (Martin) and Joseph Davidson.
Front row: Janet (Hays), Annie (Sands), Granny Elizabeth (Carlisle), Jeanie (Jamieson), Grandpa Davidson and Ria Irvine. Ria Irvine still lives in Beith and is one of Beith’s oldest residents.
This photo was taken of the happy quartette upstairs in the Masonic Arms Public House, Main Street, Beith in the early 1960s. These four men were all worthies in Beith, but none survive today.
(l to r): Gavin Walters, John Kilpatrick, Colin Morrison and Willie Brodie.
This picture was taken at the rear buildings in Wilson Street where Robert Hoynes ran a business selling chickens which he plucked, cleaned and sold from this location. This photograph shows two of the customers with very small and somewhat undernourished plucked chickens. Taken in the early 1940s when chicken was regarded as a luxury item. The boy in the front, Alex Anderson, is one of Beith’s most senior citizens today (May 2003).
(l to r): Willie Brodie, Robert West, Jack Wren and the boy at the front is Alex Anderson.
Beith Town Boys Club under 10s in 2002. The manager is Gordon Shannan of Beith and the team play their home games at Marshalland.
Back row (l to r): Darren Patrick, David McConnell, Ewan Docherty, Greg Irving, Alexander Duncanson and Craig McDonald.
Front row: Andrew Collins, Tom Irvine, Ross McKissock, Dale Hendry, Stewart Duncan and Mark Shannan.
3rd Beith Guides celebrate Thinking Day in February 2003 by holding a Chinese Night and all the guides dressed appropriately for the occasion and enjoyed a Chinese meal.
Back row (l to r): Samantha Denholm, Heather Dillon, Caroline Watson, Ashleigh Denholm, Laura Bell, Zoe Hasler, Monica Reid, Sarah McPike, Mairi Hodge, Pamela McCarroll, Morna McGeoch and Kerri Milne.
Front row: Lindsay Kennedy, Claire Dagan, Shona Denovan, Lauren Graham, Hazel Wylie and Lauren Baxter.
Beith’s famous Townhouse and the Anderson Hotel taken in June 2002. The townhouse was built by public subscription in 1817. The lower part of the building originally consisted of two shops, one of which was an ironmongers operated by George B Inglis from 1862 until around 1900. There was also a small room where prisoners were kept prior to their appearance in the upper hall which was used as a JP Court, Sheriff Small Debt Circuit Court and as a public meeting room.
The inside of Speirs School showing the war memorial. In September 1887 the foundation stone for the school was laid in the presence of a gathered crowd of around 1,000 people who were entertained by the Kilbarchan Instrumental Band. The school opened on 22 September 1888 with 140 pupils, mostly from North Ayrshire. The first headmaster was Mr R Bruce-Lockhart who came from Waid Academy. The school closed in 1972 and was demolished in 1984. The war memorial, for both wars acknowledges the supreme sacrifice made by 70 Old Spierians.
The Royal Mail’s Beith Sorting Office, formerly the town’s Post Office, is located in Eglinton Street. The two buildings to the right are "Julia Fields" which sells fancy goods and on the far right are the offices of Stewart and Osborne, solicitors.
Voters total: 1